Subject Leader: Mrs Curwen. French taught by Madame Cook.
Madame Cook is a lead practitioner of ‘Aim’.
AIM (the Accelerative Integrated Methodology for Language Learning) is a Canadian method for learning languages, where children learn in a fun and natural way and are able to express themselves in French right from the first class. Incorporating story-telling, songs and plays it is one of the most popular and effective language programmes used in Canada and is also hugely popular in the USA, Australia, New Zealand and the Netherlands.
In French, pupils will learn to:
- read fluently
- write imaginatively
- speak confidently
- understand the culture of the countries in which the language is spoken
We aim to ensure that pupils:
- understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources.
- speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation.
- can write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt.
- discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied.